Friday, July 27, 2007

Summer vacation is too long.

It's true. Students forget after 2 months, unless they attend summer programs that stimulate their brains, whether it's art camp or science camp or music lessons. The brain, just like muscles - use it or lose it.

It's too long for us teachers, too. It's fun and, as an adult, I know better than my students how to engage and stimulate my brain so it doesn't turn to mush. (That doesn't mean teachers actually do it, but the chances are higher, I think.) But seriously, who needs 2 straight months of vacation??? Most of us are not wealthy enough to vacation in exotic places for 2 months, and we wouldn't be able to take our working spouses with us anyway.

Alternative - shorter vacations spread out during the school year. We - students and teachers - definitely need breaks. 2 weeks is a good length of time. Now I'm just dreaming...

8 comments:

a said...

somehow the grass is greener on the other side. i would love 2 months off!! but i would also like the luxury of getting a week off between semesters and maybe a day here or there the rest of the year. i want it all!!

a said...

i just realized that my first comment never made it on. didn't realize i had to sign in first. oh well.

Natalie said...

It is too long, even for us kids! I can't drive, so it's long and hot for me. I didn't know teachers thought it was long too.

roller coaster teacher said...

A - what did you used to do with summer vacation?

hi natalie - thanks for being honest! Some students do tell me that, and I totally believe you. Yet in June, we can't wait for vacation (even teachers). I remember being bored as a kid - both my parents worked, so I just watched tv and read books all summer long (this was before computers). Hang in there!

a said...

i guess i've never experienced a full two months off...i was always in summer school.

Jayme said...

Where do you live? (Well you dont actually have to answer that haha..) I just meant that some places do the year round school with 2 weeks off here and there, is that an option you could work towards in your community? Personaly I always enjoyed the long summers, because I did camps and stuff all summer. I can deffinetly see how it would get boring though, if you weren't real busy. Lastly I just wanted to say I really enjoy your blog, happy writing!

roller coaster teacher said...

Hi jayme,

I'm in New York State, public school system. I haven't heard of a school in my area that runs year-round, but I think they exist elsewhere in the country. I hope the trend starts to grow. Most of my friends are parents and many of them would love shorter summer vacations.

I agree that camps are the way to go, if it's available and affordable, either day camps, sports camps, nature camps, art camps, etc.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting! :)

Term papers said...

This is such a great news, it really helps, Your blog is nice and informative. Thanks for the article.