Friday, August 17, 2007

Doing my homework

Reporting from the land of no Internet, my new home in the suburbs, where there are more trees and lawn and fresh air to enjoy, no sirens but cicadas and delivery and utility truck sounds abound, I can use the iPhone to email blog posts though not reliably receive notice of your comments but in a pinch use the painfully slow web browser, and I've lost track of the sentence structure here...

My point is I'm finally doing my summer reading (holy cow - I discovered new occupational hazard yesterday at ob/gyn checkup, where the nurse practitioner and I discussed her son's summer reading and the merits of using audio CD especially for students with learning disabilities DURING THE YOUKNOWWHAT exam - Seriously - I can't decide if the conversation was a good distraction or an outrage).

Really, without the Internet, my late night activity yesterday was reading and journaling TWO chapters of Learning by Doing: a handbook for professional learning ..... *sigh*

And I truly miss blogging, which is reading, commenting, and visiting with blog friends. Thanks for your comments - I'll reciprocate when I can snag some wi-fi or September 1 when our internet service starts.

5 comments:

jenamoured said...

audiobooks.. nice complement for struggling readers, definitely not an acceptable substitute. but, can you really say that to a woman who's got five inches of her arm jammed up your vaginal canal? no, i don't think so.

using the audiobook can help for word recognition; i've had more than one student who couldn't read a word by sight, but could recognize and knew a word by sound.

but then, why not just read aloud? struggling people are going to have a hell of a time keeping up with an audiotrack (following along on the text), and though they may be absorbing the story by hearing it, the purpose of summer reading is reading and building reading skills. so. no. no audiobooks as substitutes. maybe i'm too much of a purist. it's not quite watching the movie, but you're also not working on building the strengths you need to in order to read texts. (i'm pretty sure the state driver's manual isn't available in audio format....)

yh said...

I don't think I can wait that long.. lol! Send subsitute bloggers for you. Haha. :)

roller coaster teacher said...

j - i totally agree the audio must complement, not substitute, to help build reading skills for struggling readers. I really did insert - no pun intended, ack - the word "complement" in the conversation.

I'll try to bookmark your blogs (you, too, yh) to keep up. It's not hard to write comments but so far impossible to edit my own post (I'll remove yahoo ads later).

jenamoured said...

http://cellfish.com/multimedia/110451

i thought you would like this. perhaps, some of it, i don't necessarily agree with, but for the most part, the sentiment, and the delivery, i can appreciate.

be well!

roller coaster teacher said...

JEN!!! OMG!!! I just watched it and it made me cry. With joy. And laugh. Thank you thank you thank you for sharing that! I will pass it on...