Thursday, September 6, 2007

Alive

and kicking! I caught up on sleep last night - 8 and a half hours.

First day was good. Mostly I was in sleep-deprived, adrenaline-driven daze, trying to "get to know" 96 new students. (That's a low number. Usually we're at 120.) And it was very, very hot in the classroom.

7th grade - I always think they're so cute in September. Still "kids", some baby faces, some much shorter than me. Cuteness lasts till January, maybe. Then I rely on their burgeoning intellect and personality to carry us through 16 more months (we loop). It was still very, very hot in the classroom.

Second day was much better, coherent. They did work, and I talked little. I think I can name two-thirds of them, in their seats, mainly because of alliteration/name game that's carrying into tomorrow's lesson. (Student chooses a word to describe self that has same beginning sound as first name, makes small poster of alliterative phrase; class does Gallery Walk around to look at posters; student 1 introduces self using alliterative phrase, student 2 greets 1 by 1's alliterative phrase then states own alliterative phrase, student 3 greets 1 and 2 with their alliterative phrases, etc.)

SLOG! They've been slogging both days! OK, just the journaling part, not yet the reading/commenting part. We'll start that tomorrow.

G's first 2 days of 1st grade were great! She's loved everything, and we even hear interesting tidbits from her about classes, classmates, lunchroom, bus ride. Miracle!

6 comments:

jenamoured said...

sounds great. :D my people started doing work today, but we had an assembly during 2nd period, so really only one english class was doing work.

anyway, i have planning 6th and 7th, and we have block schedule. so, the last 90 mins of every day is wind-down time. this is great, because 5th period has an attitude problem and they need a lot of coaching.

Frumteacher said...

Sounds like a great first day! Isn't it a great feeling to know that day 1 is over?

Orchid in the Bronx said...

Hey there, I'm caught up here now. You teachers, seriously, walk on water. I'm always amazed, especially, when introverts get juiced up about teaching (you're an "I", yes?). Getting up in front of the peanut gallery every day, all eyes on you. Amazing! And lots going on on the home front too, sounds like. Tend to your sleep, my friend!

Natalie said...

Slog? Fun! So is that like their own blogs? Can I see? :D

Sounds like fun! But... 96 new students? WOW! We only have sixty people in our grade, and only 3 new kids this year. Good luck!

roller coaster teacher said...

Orchid - ha ha, fooled ya. I'm technically an E, as in ENTJ, ever since senior year in college when Kathy gave serving council a shortened inventory. I happen to enjoy speaking to a group of people on topics that interest me, something I found out in law school, but you'd be surprised by how many teachers say "I don't like public speaking." I'm caught up on sleep, and now it's the weekend, and I have internet at home...

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品