Sunday, September 9, 2007

Current reads...

The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards - My new teaching partner/inclusion teacher DR passed this on to me, and I started reading during am homeroom/DEAR time. That's only about 5 minutes each day, nowhere near enough, so I brought it home and read some more yesterday. I'm on page 94, learning about Caroline's new life with Phoebe in Pittsburgh. The language is beautiful, and the character depictions truly draw me into their minds and hearts.

The World Without Us, by Alan Weisman - I listened to part of Weisman's interview on Science Friday/NPR, and I couldn't wait to read the book. I read a
few chapters yesterday, and I enjoy the "what if" - science fiction, so to speak - aspect of the book - What happens to all our human Stuff after we're gone? I'm on page 32. So far, the most interesting parts are what would happen to the typical suburban house and what would happen in New York City "without us". (Check out the "Feature Multimedia" on the book web page - an animated "slideshow" tour of Manhattan over 15,000 years "without us" and an animated 500 years of "Your House Without You".)

Happy reading!

10 comments:

Miss! said...

You're right, all the books do look nice!

Miss! said...

I like the new layout, too!

Frumteacher said...

Wow, inspiring template! Thanks for the reading list.

Jayme said...

I really like your new layout!

roller coaster teacher said...

Thanks!!! My lesson was "writing territories" today - and I showed students this blog and my box of about 20 journal notebooks that I've been keeping since I was 12 years old. I read a few entries from the early journals (some written in Chinese) that showed how obnoxious I was!

Natalie said...

loving the layout!

yeah, the whole faye might just be over! hoorah!

angelq said...

I love your layout. Did you accomplish this on your own? Any tips? I'm still working within the confines of the original blogger template and would like to expand.

Re: A World Without Us
I was recently thinking about how weird/neat it would be to come across an abandoned NYCity. Last Sunday I saw HP5 and they had a preview for "I Am Legend". Of course, I wouldn't want to have to live through the event(s) that would have to occur in order for NYCity to be in that state.

Orchid in the Bronx said...

So happy to see books books books. You should start an additional Books Blog (blog-spawning). I just finished Tim O'Brien's "In the Lake of the Woods," it was the strangest experience: the first 20 pages amazing and incredibly engaging. The next 200 pages weirdly (surprisingly) tedious, almost impossible to get through. The last 50 pages really strong, everything coming together. A mini-lesson for me on sticking with a book I'm hating.

Orchid in the Bronx said...

But here's a mini-rant, a pet peeve of mine: why is every other new novel out there called The Somebody Somebody's Wife, or The Somebody Somebody's Daughter? You can just see the marketing dept at Random House looking at the "data" and cooking up this scheme...

roller coaster teacher said...

I'm plotting a blog or some kind of web page where I can categorize what I consider good books, especially by GENRE, mostly for students and but really anyone else to peruse. I'll look into Librarything.com.