Friday, September 7, 2007

Institution rant #1




Your first and last views of the Festive Lights in my room, right before I removed these "fire hazards".


I'm almost at a loss for words. I have been so proud of the comfortable, inviting atmosphere created by lighting in my room. I never use the fluorescent lights overhead, only a floor lamp (NOT halogen), desk lamps, and string lights, until this afternoon.

What is there to say to the powers that be? That institutionalized settings work fine unless you want every child to succeed in school? That teachers who use their own resources to personalize the classroom are morons?

No matter what, I'm grateful that, when I re-wrapped up the lights and felt like (but didn't) flinging them in the trash can, I knew exactly where to take this rant (here). Thank YOU all for understanding.

10 comments:

Ms. George said...

I love the fairy lights and I can't believe that now they're a fire hazard! My room would look right at home next to yours, I believe. I have windchimes and other assorted hanging things all over the place. At the Faculty Gathering, one of the Emergency Maintenance People remarked that nothing should be closer than 2 Feet to the ceiling! I am not taking anything down until I'm told...
So you get to keep your students for 7th and 8th grades?

roller coaster teacher said...

Fairy lights, indeed! I would love windchimes...

Yes, 2 years, minus 3 days!

Natalie said...

No fairy lights? That's so annoying!

I would love those in my classroom. Are you allowed to keep the lamps? If so, get more?

Oh, and about joining a sport to get my mind on other things... that's where all the drama takes place! Haha

Frumteacher said...

Oh, that must have been so disappointing... You looked forward to them so much :-( At least you can post a picture of them on your bulletin board, and tell your students that from now on, THEY will have to be the light in your room :-D

StephanieBrown said...

Twinkle lights always make a day better - I'm sorry you were told to remove them.

roller coaster teacher said...

Frum - that's really funny. I wonder if/when a student will notice and ask about the absence.

Natalie - I guess it's too much to ask that you try an activity that's not AS social, like yoga? You can just tell me you LIKE the drama, and I'll shut up.

Stephanie - I haven't found Diary of a Fly yet, but I love the other ones.

Miss! said...

I loathe fluorescent lighting and have found that twinkle lights are banned as well. I'm sure there are plenty other things going on in schools that constitute more severe "fire hazards"...

WendyB said...

Oh too bad! I love fairy lights!

Orchid in the Bronx said...

I wonder if there's an alternative... something bright and sparkly that doesn't plug in. Hmm... creative soul that you are, no doubt you'll come up with something.

roller coaster teacher said...

If money was no object, I'd buy and use lots of flameless candles. Those look so cool.