Thursday, September 27, 2007

"Parent Information Night"

aka Open House, is just a whirlwind! I enjoy the social aspect - little chats here and there with parents, especially the ones I already know, mixed together with the group presentations - information overload all around, for parents and teachers alike. I like processing all this information - what the parents are like, which parents are social with each other, tidbits of parent concerns about their children...

SLOG! I gave the students slogs to their parents to read and write comments! I think that went over very well. Thanks to my teaching partner for the idea. I was hesitant at first when she suggested it, worried about the state of their journal writing. But the parents seemed to enjoy reading and commenting.

Other highlights - catching up with a dad who was my law professor, um, 14 years ago; catching up with a mom whose older child I taught 4 years ago, whose younger child is an angel in comparison and we all know it, who remarried 2 years ago and I was glad to tell her in all honesty she looked wonderful.

No low's - oh wait, during the in-between time (after school but before open house, I didn't go home because the commute is too long, so I shopped), I went to the mall near the school (where I almost never go) and felt ROYALLY insulted by Gap store employees who barely looked at me but greeted 4 other customers with cheery "can I help ?" I fumed all the way out the mall, thinking about the email I would send the company, how dare they after all the money I've spent in their stores *seethe, seethe*

One more high - I learned to DVR "Grey's Anatomy" because I arrived home halfway into the season premiere. All's good.

6 comments:

Teacher -n- Training said...

I missed the first 15 minutes of Grey's Anatomy but will be watching it a little later - not going to ruin it for you, but I can't wait until next week!

jenamoured said...

do you have a link for the slog?

ps-- what'd you wear!? i wore heels to open house, but had to sacrifice looks for comfort and went to flip flops a short way in. we can't all be glamorous all the time.

have you ever done centers? hints? i've started up and want to continue-- the kids loved it and though we were having a 'fun day' instead of real work. ha! tricked them, didn't i?

Natalie said...

oooh, grey's anatomy? I'm getting all pumped for desperate housewives... love it!

roller coaster teacher said...

Jen - I wore slacks from daytime, changed from daytime shirt to short sleeve fitted blazer for evening. It worked fine! Humid and hot in my room, as usual. I kept on my "alice" maryjane crocs (no holes) all day. I'll tell you my favorite open house clothing story on your blog...

Centers - I do "stations" for certain units, where groups rotate through, doing different reading/writing tasks - is that what you mean by centers? I love them, once I do the work to set up.

Fridays have been silent sustained reading for me and I LOVE it - I pick one class period to do my own SSR, then grade papers the rest of the classes.

Orchid in the Bronx said...

Parent Gatherings - uy yuy yuy. Good for you. My friend G. and I go together to the dog run sometimes (this is the friend I wrote about, the new puppy mom), and it's interesting to see her frustration and indignation with the other "parents" (and G. is a teacher!). Quite a sociological phenomenon, an experiment in communal cooperation, these dog runs. Do you love Grey's Anatomy? We are always looking for new series to get hooked on. First it was The West Wing (all 7 seasons on DVD - we watched it through TWICE). Now it is "The Wire" - this is excellent television if ever there was (HBO Original Programming). Not for the kids, however- no way.

roller coaster teacher said...

Seriously. Grey's Anatomy is the best guilty TV pleasure known to ... me. I'm too cheap and too lazy to obtain HBO shows on cable or DVD, so I don't doubt many many top-notch series have left me far far behind.

First season of Grey's was superior script writing in addition to serious eye candy. Can't say the same for subsequent seasons, but I still watch.