Friday, October 26, 2007

I did it!




Poetry Cafe today - it was great! I'm soooooo relieved. Noteworthy:


1. Students were great. One class (inclusion) surpassed our expectations. We had a few tricks up our sleeves, of course. Another class annoyed the heck out of me, right in front of their own parents.

2. Administrators who said they'd attend - did so. They gave very positive feedback and support.

3. Fellow teachers - I love them! My teaching partner (special ed. teacher) was fabulous. Other teachers came in to visit and support.

4. Parents were great - super good turn out in 2 classes (out of 5).

5. Food was fantastic. Some students (and their parents) really came through. Most popular: taco dip, apple pie, apple cider, Halloween cookies, chocolate-dipped strawberries.

6. I admit - it was fun to be the center of a whirlwind activity in the school.

7. Last night and early this morning, to calm my nerves, I thought, "All that's left for me to do is show up at school today. Just get to school."

10 comments:

Frumteacher said...

Yay! Enjoy the feeling! Can't wait to hear more about it.

a said...

congrats!!!!

wish there were more teachers like you!

Tricia Grissom said...

When you start NanoWriMo, please post on your progress. I'd love to hear how it's going.

Orchid in the Bronx said...

Way to go! Sounds great. Boy, wish my middle school teachers had a passion for poetry and character-development the way you do. And I supposedly went through one of the "best" public school systems in the country.

WendyB said...

Congrats! I am now dying for some apple cider.

Ms. George said...

Congratulations!
I've been away for a bit but I was catching up on all your recent postings. I want to do one of these in the Spring this year, so I'll be checking back and asking for advice! One question: the food thing sounds awesome; does your district have a 'wellness policy' where food is discouraged?

roller coaster teacher said...

Thanks, everyone!

Ms. George - Food policy....??? The only one I know is "drinks and other non-homemade foods have to be in unopened containers".

One girl said to me, "I'm allergic to peanuts". I said, "OK, I will tell the class to not bring anything with peanuts due to a peanut allergy, but I have no way of making sure nothing has peanuts." She said, OK.

So your district just generally discourages food at parties? Do they encourage healthy foods instead?

jenamoured said...

rct - we are doing a sixth grade poetry slam in december. we are working on building poetry portfolios for the 9wks project, and it will culminate in performing your poems at the slam with the whole sixth grade. of course, we are offering a vast amount of extra credit for reading poems at the slam. it will be great!

roller coaster teacher said...

Jen! What's up?! Poetry slam sounds awesome - I wish we did a slam. Maybe next year. What's the difference between regular poetry readings and a poetry slam anyway? The way most of my students read (now), it's no slam. They need to pump up the energy. I wanted to show them poetry slam videos, but didn't get to it (YouTube blocked at school). I showed video readings from favoritepoem.org

jenamoured said...

poetry slams are where readers recite original work with a lot of emphasis. according to wikipedia, judges can judge the poems to find a winner.

for us, our purposes will be so that students can share their original works, and also so students can work on emphatic and dramatic reading.

to start out, some of the rest of the sixth grade teachers will probably read poems to break the ice.

i'm really excited about it.!