Monday, November 5, 2007

close call, and the substitute teacher question

I was a tiny bit inclined to just ... not write the novel because ... it's hard when I'm not writing to stop doing anything else. Then when I'm writing, it's fun and rewarding and yadda yadda good stuff. The truth - I didn't want to tell any of you that I wasn't writing the novel, and I'm not giving up blogging, so...

Day 4 - I didn't write. Nope.

Day 5 - I recovered! Word count: 2267.

Part of me doesn't want to blog about anything except the novel. The other part says, I'm going to a conference this Thursday on the topic of helping students with reading problems, sponsored by the local chapter of the International Dyslexia Association. You know what that means - preparing lessons and materials and students for a substitute teacher! I'm completely, unapologetically neurotic about my lessons for a substitute and my students' behavior in my absence. I absolutely positively HATE reading a note the next day saying students were poorly behaved. Is this normal? Is this justified? Should I just get a grip?

4 comments:

Clix said...

Well... if it's not normal, we're both weird! :D

jenamoured said...

the 5 days i missed when at mom's funeral were like hell for me (for various reasons). i talked to the sub at least four times before i even left, and the first day i was gone she called me four times. i was so scared about coming back to a smoking pile of ashes. i guess my shit was in order, though, because everything was intact when i returned.

Orchid in the Bronx said...

It's like babysitters (and dogsitters and housesitters) - people commenting on your work, your life, your pride and joy. I think it just means you're deeply invested! (Though for your own sanity, might be worth letting it go as much as you can.)

MKuehler said...

I actually wish more teachers cared about how their students behaved in their absence. I substitute teach and most of the time, the students get away with misbehaving.