Wednesday, November 28, 2007

INSPIRATION


... is Esme Raji Codell, author and certified readiologist - trust me, I wouldn't reveal my previously carefully hidden identity for anyone less than truly inspirational. This picture shows us at her conference today. I sat in the audience, completely awestruck, with these thoughts:

1. I love being a teacher! Esme was a classroom teacher in Chicago and is still a school librarian there, in addition to her titles above. Her stories about the chapters of her reading life were funny and reminded me why I want to be a teacher.

2. I have so much to do still! First of all, I have to read aloud to my students MUCH more than before. Read Esme's blog page for more information about good read aloud books. Second, there are so many excellent children and young adult literature that I've yet to read! Again, check her blog page for titles.

3. There's hope for me and you! Esme wrote books, starting with her journals (which became published book - Educating Esme: Diary of a First Year Teacher), then a professional book (How to Get Your Child to Love Reading), then children/young adult literature (such as Sahara Special and Vive La Paris). So there's hope for me, you, all of us that call ourselves WRITERS.

PS - who needs to stand in line for an autograph in her book (yeah, she gave us all copies of Sahara Special, a la Oprah - how cool is that?!) when I can ask her to take a picture with me on my camera phone?

3 comments:

WendyB said...

Aw! Cute photo.

Natalie said...

I READ ONE OF HER BOOKS! SAHARA SPECIAL!

P.S. Love the hustle haha

Frumteacher said...

Thanks for introducing me to her, I will try to get hold of her diary!