Thursday, November 1, 2007

nanowrimo, baby!

That sounds like a variation of "nanu nanu" a la Mork, or perhaps "hasta la vista" a la Terminator.

I'm fully aware that it's November 1 and I'm supposed to be writing an average of 1,666.7 (rounded, thanks) words per DAY for my novel. (NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month) Yep. I had fun explaining this to one class - well, I told them I'm supposed to write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November, and they screamed, WHAT?! They were quite concerned about my ability to accomplish this, and they said I should get started right away. They helped me do the math (average words per day, average pages per day, etc.), and - here's the cutest and funniest part and why I love 7th graders - one girl asked "Do you have a study hall?" because a study hall helps them complete homework so it could help me, too. This is my worst-behaved class, the class that has, as I told them, diarrhea of the mouth. They loved the discussion because they once again distracted me from "making them work".

I'm inspired by Carl Hiassen's novel Hoot - I want to write something with fast-paced action, about a young person who is a lot smarter than (he? she?) appears, who tackles a tough problem the best (he/she) knows how, without expecting adults to hand (him/her) the solution.

Gotta go.

Update at 10:58 pm - I wrote 458 words. Hasta manana, amigos.

3 comments:

Tricia Grissom said...

Bless you for sharing. I feel better. Seriously, what's the worst that could happen? You could have half a novel or more done by the end.

I didn't make the 50,000 mark last year, but I had quite a bit to work with after November. You go girl.

Jayme said...

Good Luck!!! I'm looking forward to seeing how far you get.

I'm going to do this also. I got a late start because I forgot about it, but I'll see where I can get. My busy days are pretty limited starting this week so I'll do some good writing. Also- I don't have tv this winter which always ends up distracting me from things I actually want to be doing.

Orchid in the Bronx said...

Hey, I'm a little behind... life's been a little wacky lately. More on that later... So did you start with an outline or anything? I read about NANOWRIMO a while back but can't quite remember the parameters. Is there a "winner?"