Monday, November 19, 2007

thank you!


The surgery went very well, according to the neurosurgeon! My father-in-law was in surgery for about 2 hours midday today. By 4pm, the family had visited with him briefly. Thank you all for your kind thoughts and regards!

I can now breathe easier and tell you that his neurosurgeon was McDreamy! Well, not the Seattle Grace one, but with even longer curls peeking out from his surgical cap. OK, I'm only relaying this description second hand.

At school, I attended a presentation on using graphic novels in middle/high school curriculum. Our local/regional public library system received a grant from the NYS Education Department to develop and promote curriculum using graphic novels. I've been a proponent of using GN's in ELA curriculum for the past few years and encourage students to try them for independent reading, but I've yet to truly incorporate into my curriculum. So stay tuned as we (my department chair and I ) hope to purchase some new classroom books, such as Maus I & II for the 8th grade Holocaust unit. I'm fairly passionate on this topic, as I've discussed this with teachers who ask if GN's "dumb down" ELA curriculum. But I'll save it for another post (or comment if you have questions/comments).

One gem I learned today: graphic novels constitute a MEDIUM, not a literary GENRE. In other words, film and illustrations and photography and graphic novels are all media, but fantasy and science fiction are genres.

Parent conferences after the graphic novel presentation. They were okay.

7 comments:

Jayme said...

I'm happy things went well. Where do find your backgrounds? They are sweet!

Lynn said...

Hey nice space... very cozy..

Speedy recovery to your father in law, and hope you'll regain the energy too.

Teacher -n- Training said...

I read Maus I & II a couple of semester's ago. It's difficult to think that a comic book format could teach about the holocaust, but it's great. Became one of my all time favorites. I cried at the end of Maus II.

Glad your father in law is better. Will keep you in my prayers.

Orchid in the Bronx said...

Hey, great to hear the surgery went well. Phew. J.'s father has started to talk, which is great news. As for graphic novels, do you know "American Born Chinese?" Got a lot of critical praise. The other well-known Asian Am graphic novelist is Adrian Tomine (I think that's his name).

Orchid in the Bronx said...

Oops, I meant to write that J's father has started to WALK. He was already talking before. Anyway, health is everything... glad you all got over this hump.

roller coaster teacher said...

Yeah, the workshop presenter noted "American Born Chinese" as a top YA graphic novel, won big literary awards. The author Gene Yang is coming to visit our public library next summer. Art Spiegelman (Maus) is coming in April.

WendyB said...

Glad things went well.