Wednesday, November 14, 2007

tired


This is the birch tree in front of our home. We now live with my husband's parents who are elderly and have been in poor health.

I'm exhausted. 2 days before a week long break from teaching. This year, the first in anyone's memory, the 3 days before Thanksgiving are staff development and parent conference days. Seriously. My principal told my teaching partner (who told me) that our interim superintendent (just prior to current superintendent) came from a district where hunting was so popular that this was their traditional schedule. Okey doke.

My father-in-law was admitted in the hospital Monday, after a weekend of feeling very ill, and then diagnosed with 2 brain tumors. The family has a meeting scheduled tomorrow with "the team" of doctors to hear their prognosis, treatment plan, etc. So that's really why I'm exhausted. My mother-in-law has mid-stage Alzheimer's. I don't think she's had much sleep the last 2 nights. She keeps asking, at night and early morning, despite having spent days visiting at the hospital, "Where's Dad?" Basically, everything is crappy right now.

I took yesterday off work to be at the hospital. I'm trying to save my sick days (family and personal) for when I'm really needed in the upcoming days/weeks/months, so I won't attend tomorrow's meeting, even though I want to be there.

As for NaNoWriMo, what can I say? I won't stop writing, but I have no idea where the novel is going.

Small moments move me along, like my friend's poem, the classical music radio station, my daughter's comment that she likes that music because it's "romantic" (I ask her, what does romantic mean? She replies, I mean beautiful), and mostly, mostly, right now, human kindness.

7 comments:

a said...

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. please let gerry know i wish him a speedy recovery and that i'm praying for him. i wish i could be there to visit him and to be with you guys.

roller coaster teacher said...

Thanks, a. I will tell him.

Jayme said...

I'm sorry to hear about your father in law. I hope that everything gets better. Take care.

Frumteacher said...

Oh dear, of course you are exhausted! Maybe Nowrimo will help you to get your mind off these things for a while. My thoughts are with you.

jenamoured said...

look. i know just what kind of exhaustion you are talking about. look. i know how you feel.

Orchid in the Bronx said...

Hang in there, kid. J's father just had a heart attack/stroke while vacationing in Europe. The risks/logistics of trying to get him back home safely to recover and do PT are daunting (he's 85). Lots of lo-grade and hi-grade stress, so I feel ya. Glad you liked the DL poem, it's a good one. I'm trying to keep writing, too - but life happens.

Tricia Grissom said...

I don't know why life has to be this was. It just is sometimes. Maybe so we can appreciate it when it isn't so crappy? Nah. Wish I could say something incredibly profound, but I got nothing.