Sunday, December 16, 2007

theatre


Here's our view from the third row, stage left (does that mean actor's left?), of "Indian Blood" at Studio Arena Theatre in downtown Buffalo last night. The huge lit wreath on the back wall and snowflakes on the side walls were added AFTER the show, just so you know, I guess for a seasonal touch. I love this simple stage - the window scenery of the wintry outdoors changed throughout the play - gorgeous and effective. The actors moved chairs around - no other props! The setting of the play, written by local playwright A. R. Gurney, is 1946 Buffalo. (It didn't even occur to me to take pictures, until I heard the pre-show announcement - "photographs and video are strictly prohibited during the show". So I waited until afterwards!)

In my next career life, I would study stage and set design.

In the past, I've coordinated two stage program field trips - one play ("The Giver", based on the novel, taking 220 students with us) and one ballet ("Baba Yaga", 470 students). I love providing these experiences to students, but I was just thinking last Friday that I HATE their negative comments. Friday, the music teachers took their chorus students (about 25 from our team) to see "The Nutcracker" ballet. I heard a few student complaints and that instantly killed my interest in taking my team to the "Cinderella" ballet in March. Coordinating a field trip is so much extra work - so if the majority of students don't love it, it feels like a waste of time and effort. I suppose taking 25 students would be easier than 100+.

I'll tell you what's easier - nature walks on school grounds. Last Thursday, as snow fell throughout the day, students suggested nature walks! I just might...

More snow pictures here soon...

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Cool! They have the Giver as a play? I am in love with that book!

Teacher -n- Training said...

Pretty pics! We just took our kids to the University I attend to see a Year with Frog and Toad. I love it. We went 2 weeks ago, and we are still making quotes to each other from the play!