Saturday, December 15, 2007

words and snow



Students have been writing essays - answering the essential question "how does one's actions affect others" and analyzing characterization using the novel Hoot. To teach the use of literary techniques (such as alliteration and figurative language) in writing prose (in addition to poetry), students paired up to create phrases and sentences using literary techniques and Hoot content, then posted these words on paper/wall. So when they write/revise essays and try to incorporate literary techniques, they read this wall (ok, closet doors) for inspiration.

The snow photo features my car when I left school on Thursday afternoon. Steady snow since 8am yielded about 6 inches... The forecast is 7 to 12 inches starting tonight and into Sunday!

8 comments:

Natalie said...

I want snow! Lucky!!

Teacher -n- Training said...

You are so lucky!!! I wish we had snow around here for Christmas. It's still in the 70's here. A little hard to get in the mood. We leave in 4 days for our cruise. Not that I'm counting down or anything.

Frumteacher said...

Aaah... Snow...

roller coaster teacher said...

You folks are funny. I appreciate the sentiments, but I know you are mostly admiring the IDEA of December snow. It's truly gorgeous as long as I'm not driving in it.

jenamoured said...

RCT-- You are on the money about snow. I hate that foul substance and avoid it at all costs.

Your figurative language wall is excellent. I just did something exactly similar in my classroom. We are doing a poetry unit to remediate on figurative language (they are having a really hard time with it), and so I did giant foldables staples to a bulletin board. Each section of the foldable was dedicated to a type of figurative language/poetic device and then students conducted a scavenger hunt in their text books. They had to find examples for each and had to post the examples on the wall. No repeat examples, no single poem used more than once. It was way fun.

Teacher -n- Training said...

I know. I lived in Alaska for 3 years and the first year it was "yippee - SNOW!, then the 2nd year it was "it snowed" and the 3rd year is "crap it snowed last night!"

MKuehler said...

I agree with the snow. It is nice on Christmas but driving in it is horrible. I live in Idaho and it currently snowing outside again.
Thanks for the comment on my blog. Hey, have you seen the new Alvin and the Chipmunks move? I did not like it but maybe your kids might.

Term Papers said...

I have been visiting various blogs for my Term Papers research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards