Wednesday, January 2, 2008

back to school #2

Now that I've surfed through some other teacher blogs, I am indignant that so many of you teachers are still lazying about at home!  Don't you know the young, impressionable minds of your students are melting into lazy puddles as you type your posts???  I'm speaking from pure envy, of course.

I have a cold, so my first day back was ... sleepy.  I had enough foresight weeks ago to make today's lesson "make a small poster day".  Yesterday was Ice Bowl - NHL Winter Classic day - more on that later, after I get over this cold, upload pictures, figure out how to properly chronicle the day's historic events - in short, it was exhilarating and exhausting, and I was asleep by 9pm. Lesson goal aside, my true goal today was to be at school.  Just get there.  The rest was icing on the cake.

The good - greeting students and coworkers, trading stories about vacation and the horrors of getting up this morning, slogging (journaling) about "back to school", overhearing one student tell another "I almost died waking up this morning" and then using that example to review hyperbole, thanks much.

The bad - probably 10 students who confessed or otherwise revealed that they don't even have a nonfiction book for independent reading, despite my repeated notices and lessons and warnings for the past month.

The ugly - my nose that dripped like a leaky faucet, tissues that burned my skin, germs, germs, everywhere.

11 comments:

Tense Teacher said...

Oh, yuck. Bad enough having to go back to work, even worse going back to work with a runny nose. Here's hoping the week ends quickly for you.

Natalie said...

Haahaa, school does get EVERYONE sick.

I get sick. Once, someone gave me a cold, and I missed my whoole week of finals!! And my ski trip!!

Man, was I bummed. Now we have little bottles of hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE.

Teacher -n- Training said...

I hope you feel beter. School doesn't start back here until Monday. Vacation here until Monday. My kids are going to die since they sleep until 9-10 every morning.

It's miserable to be sick around other people when you just want to lie around and be around no one.

ms-teacher said...

I'm at the end of my cold, thank goodness! My cold started at the beginning of the holiday break. Of course, now the youngest has it and we go back to school Monday.

I'm sorry you are feeling bad. Here's hoping that you feel better soon!

Jayme said...

Hope you start to feel better!

roller coaster teacher said...

Thanks, everyone! I took a nap after school yesterday, then ate dinner and blog surfed, then went to bed. Today I felt progressively BETTER throughout the school day. I feel 100% normal now.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

I'm one of those teachers you despise (or envy): We don't go back until Monday. However, life is a series of tradeoffs: I suspect you get out a lot sooner in the summer than we do. Our last day is June 11.

roller coaster teacher said...

california - you are too kind and wishful. My last day of school is June 27. No joke.

Jane said...

Yes, I am still home. Staying up *way* too late and sleeping in. But, I started back to school on July 5 and teach until June 30 so that should be some comfort!

I used to live in Rochester. My inlaws tell me that the weather is really nasty lately. Stay warm!

Yuriko said...

Feel better soon! It must be awful to have to go to work sick... :( Hope you'll be better Monday. Get lots of rest and fluids.

Frumteacher said...

I hope it makes you feel better to know that indeed, I did enjoy being lazy for another week :-D

Hope your cold is better now. Oh, and I LOVE that hyperbole lesson!