Saturday, January 12, 2008

best teacher advice



... from the teacher who was department chair when I was hired, and who retired at the end of my first year of teaching, to the audience of her retirement dinner speech:

"When you leave school each day, think of ONE good thing that you did as a teacher that day."

Countless days in the years after that speech, I drove away from school, frazzled, struggling for air, then thinking of ONE good thing I did that day, and breathing...

Melting snow on the brick patio in our back yard - that's the weather story of our winter - snow, snow melts, snow...

7 comments:

a said...

i think that's great advice and i will apply that to my job as well.

Ms. H said...

Thanks for reminding me of that! It's extra easy for me to dwell on the things that stress me out, but I need to remember to shift my focus to the positive moments.

Peggy said...

Hi there. I read over at Tense's site that you were thinking of contacting me regarding a site design.

If you are still interested you can use my alternative email at bellamommyblog@gmail.com

My other email seems to have the hiccups right now.
-Peggy

Frumteacher said...

This is exactly what I needed today... Thank you so much!

ThursdayNext said...

The photo is lovely - lots of texture! I think that the mantra you use is good in order to stay positive amidst the chaos.

ms-teacher said...

This picture reminds me of iced oatmeal cookies. Lovely photo.

Sarah said...

I was told by a professor in college to expect "mini-breakdowns" at the steering wheel on the way home from work. They didn't mention how to overcome them! Thanks for passing along the advice :)