Sunday, January 20, 2008

mid-holiday





... today is the middle portion of a 3-day weekend. The scene outside our kitchen window appears bright and sunshine-y, with animal (deer, squirrels, others?) tracks in the snow, especially under the bird feeders right behind the house.

Inside the kitchen, I sit with student papers. I am grading 3 written assignments for 97 students this weekend; this afternoon I graded about 120 in 3 hours or so, leaving about 180 for tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, I am reading Ghettonation by Cora Daniels. Inside book jacket - "thoughtful critique of America's embrace of a ghetto persona that demeans women, devalues education, celebrates the worst African American stereotypes, and contributes to the destruction of civil peace." After reading 3 chapters so far, I can't stop thinking and categorizing what's "ghetto" and what's not "ghetto" about my daily life, the lives of my family, neighbors, friends, students, colleagues, acquaintances, strangers, celebrities, ... None of us are immune to this social phenomenon.

5 comments:

Tense Teacher said...

Goodness! That's a whole bunch of papers to sort through in just 3 days. Godspeed to you!

ThursdayNext said...

I love the brightness that snow on the ground produces on a sunny day - you captured it well in your photos! Have a good day tomorrow and thanks for remembering what the day is truly about...

Ms. H said...

Grading papers -- SUCKS.

That book sounds AWESOME, however. I want to read that. Desperately.

Must.
Get.
To.
Library.

jenamoured said...

i really really want to read that book.

i recently had to explain to my students what a ghetto truly is-- a neighborhood built for the segregation of an "inferior" race, and then followed with explanations of life in ghettos during the holocaust. it made my children quiet for the rest of that class period, but i think the message was lost on them as soon as they left the classroom.

it's almost as if they celebrate being hateful, disrespectful, ignorant, and mindless. i don't understand.

ms-teacher said...

I have about 50 essays to grade that I brought home this week-end. I haven't touched them and I still have to plan out my week. Bad teacher!

Ghettonation sounds very interesting. I'll have to add it to my list of books to read!