Friday, February 29, 2008

back to school #3



Confession #1 - our district and most suburban schools in our county were on "mid-winter recess" - a week of vacation - during the week of February 18. It gave my family a breather after my father-in-law's funeral on the 16th. During vacation, I made a lot of greetings cards - 20 birthday party invitations for my daughter's 7th birthday party next Saturday, about 20 thank-you cards of various shapes and sizes for family and friends. Art therapy.

Confession #2 - instead of blogging (i.e. writing as well as reading and commenting), I indulged in internet a) shopping, mostly browsing, but some buying, and b) Facebook.  Internet therapy.

Confession #3 - going back to school after a week of vacation was a welcome distraction from family life. All week, I dreaded grading projects that were done in my absence the week before vacation (I was out 2 days for scoring state exam papers, and then 2 and a half days of bereavement leave), but I used SSR (silent sustained reading) time today to sift through papers and chase down delinquents, and I managed to grade most of the projects! (I know we're supposed to model reading, and I often do, but today wasn't the day!) I will take pictures of student-made dioramas (the good ones) and post here soon.  We started our myths, fables, and  folktales unit this past week, AND I brainstormed a good topic for upcoming research project.  Work therapy.

Many thanks again and again to faithful fellow bloggers who offered kind words and thoughts.

8 comments:

Lynn said...

I haven't been around for sooo long and I'm sorry to learn of this sad news. May God be with you and your family in this toughest times and may your father-in-law rest in peace.

Mimi said...

#2 sounds exactly like how I spent my vacation from school too...so don't feel bad about it at all!!

Sarah said...

You make beautiful cards! I love doing the same thing but haven't found the time recently...

Frumteacher said...

Dear RC teacher,
I wasn't able to read my regular round of blogs these past weeks, so I only found out about your father in law's passing today. Words obviously don't suffice in such a sad situation. I hope your precious family and all your hobbies and talents will give you the strength to cope with this sad loss. My thoughts are with you and your family...

Ilanadavita said...

I am sorry about your loss.

I tagged you for a nice little teaching meme:
http://ilanadavita.wordpress.com/2008/03/02/passion-quilt-meme/

Hope it's ok with you.

roller coaster teacher said...

Thanks, everyone.

Tricia Grissom said...

So glad you're back! I was so sorry to hear about your father-in-law.

I know it's difficult right now. Hopefully spring will bring better times.

Natalie said...

Ooh pretty cards!