Thursday, June 12, 2008

middle school is worse than meatloaf

I was looking for Babymouse graphic novel in my school library, and instead I found this novel by Jennifer L. Holm.  Subtitle: "A year told through stuff" - a story of Ginny Davis' 7th grade year. Holms used "digitally rendered collage illustrations" of various forms of communication - notes, store receipts, ticket stubs, report cards, English essays, life science reports, IM's, etc.  Ginny has funny problems (like trying new hair styles to make her nose appear smaller) and family problems (like an older brother who gets in trouble, a new stepdad).  Each piece of "stuff" is surprising and tells another part of Ginny's 7th grade year.

PS - I woke up this morning and found notification email from the public library - Eclipse is available for me to pick up!!!  I'm going to pick it up this evening, after dinner...

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Would you recommend this for a 3rd grader boy? Your description sounds enticing, but don't wanna risk the lovely book being hidden under the bed...

Frumteacher said...

This books sounds great, I'll have to look it up. I love books that give me insight in the life of teens, because I sometimes find it hard to remember how I felt at that age.

ms-teacher said...

I will probably have to get this book for my classroom. Is this good for 6th graders?

Thanks for sharing!

roller coaster teacher said...

I think this is perfect for 6th and 7th graders, girls in particular.