Sunday, August 10, 2008

family story (corps)



Outside the downtown central Buffalo and Erie County Library, this StoryCorps MobileBooth parks until August 23, listening and preserving personal histories, including ours.  (Here's the schedule of tours, in case you're interested in a location near you.)  (Many thanks to local sponsor WBFO!  Here are some local stories.)

I mentioned in previous post that participating in StoryCorps was a dream, and I never took any affirmative action to realize this dream until I read a library announcement that the MobileBooth was in town.  When I signed up for an interview slot, my first thought was to interview Dave about his father who was ill with cancer last year and passed away in February.  Certainly, there are countless other potential interview subjects and topics, but I intended this to be a gift to Dave and to ourselves.

The telling of a story is as much about the storyteller as it is about the subject.  Woven into the story of Dave's father Gerry were stories about ourselves.  The nature of our stated topic was emotional and intense, but I didn't expect my voice to crack almost immediately!  And Dave said afterwards that he didn't think he did a good job, although I told him that I wholeheartedly disagreed on that point.  (Georgia just sat and listened until she was bored, then she read her book.)  So despite our personal feelings of wanting to do more and better, I think we tried our best to tell the essence of a family story in 40 minutes.

3 comments:

only a movie said...

oh, how cool. what an awesome thing for you to participate in. I checked the schedule (thanks for the link). Not really coming my way, but who knows?

Sydney Speel said...

cool beans!

hope you're having fun!

listenclose said...

I'm writing from StoryCorps to let you know we saw your blog post about your experience participating in an interview with your husband. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and the way you described the experience as being a gift between yourself and your husband is exactly what keeps the project going.

I wanted to write to let you know about a new initiative we're launching this year. StoryCorps is asking the whole country to set aside one hour on Friday, November 28th, the day after Thanksgiving, to record a conversation with a friend or loved one. We're declaring this day the National Day of Listening. We launched a website (www.nationaldayoflistening.org) with more information and tips for a Do-it-Yourself style interview as well as a video walking through an interview. Since so many Americans aren't able to make it to a StoryCorps recording booth, we're making it easier for everyone to share those feelings you and your husband have experienced in their own homes.

Again, thank you for participating in an interview and writing about it on your blog. Please share the idea of National Day of Listening and these Do-it-Yourself tools with family and friends and help us make the experience of listening as an act of love even more accessible.

Thank you again,
Kathleen McCarthy