Wednesday, August 20, 2008

that lovin' feelin'


Classroom set-up this morning!  (Not official work time, but just because I can't wait till last minute.)  2 and a half hours later, I got that lovin' feelin', that peaceful, happy, I'm-supposed-to-be-here feeling.  It's not fancy or even complete (missing some fake plants and flowers, nature posters), but in the quiet bright (sky) light, it's a dream coming true.

I brought my 7 year old ("I wanna be a teacher when I grow up") daughter along to help.  She set up the books on the bookshelf, set up and tested the carnival games, and drew a picture for me to post next to my desk.

Yep, carnival games.  I've been warned that the first week of school is a scheduling nightmare for this course "ELA Lab".  Students come and go, partly because they convince their parents that they don't need, much less want, remediation.  I've also been told that 6th and 7th graders may sit quietly those first days, but the 8th graders ooze "don't wanna be here" attitude out of their ears from the get-go.  SO.

I'm running a "Back to School Carnival", with literacy themes, such as the Literary Genres Ball Toss, Figurative Language Cup Toss, Character Trait Ping Pong, Origami Imagery.  Students earn tickets when they play games to trade for prizes (candy, pencils, bookmarks, etc.).  And, of course, students will just LOVE coming to ELA Lab!!!

5 comments:

Sydney Speel said...

wow i love your computers haha!

i'm so nervous about school but i'm glad that you're excited!

only a movie said...

Sounds like you have a nice set-up. I only got into my new classroom today and am overwhelmed with how much work I have ahead of me...

jenamoured said...

go ahead and give me instructions on those activities, please.

PLEASE?!

roller coaster teacher said...

Thanks! Jen, more details coming soon.

Sarah said...

I love your "back to school carnival" theme! I also think your room is off to a good start and has a lot of potential! By the way, I tagged you for a numbers meme!