Friday, October 31, 2008

get graphic

Happy Halloween!  This was a cake that a student made for our class - how sweet!  My costume was the Velveteen Rabbit :)


"Get Graphic" is the name of our public library system's promotional campaign to use graphic novels to reach struggling readers.  I started teaching Jeff Kinney's Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and my students (grades 6, 7, and yes even 8) LOVE it.  Greg Heffley is the protagonist in Kinney's series - funny, annoying, exasperating, honest.  I highly recommend the Do-it-Yourself book - such an accessible, easy way for students who "hate" to read/write to start their own journal and, in my opinion, claim their human right to use language to assert their humanity.  OK, I just mean students NEED to grow confidence as readers and writers.

Next, we'll read The Arrival by Shaun Tan - a wordless graphic novel mixing fantasy and symbolism into an immigration story. The art is stunning, breathtaking.  You MUST read it.  My students don't have much background knowledge about immigration, so I'll probably use an easy connection like the movie "An American Tail" to introduce immigration themes.

Ultimately, my goal is a graphic family history project, in which students will interview a family member about an important event or person and then write a graphic narrative.  I'm going to build in some easy drawing lessons with help from the art teachers.  Well, that's the plan!

6 comments:

only a movie said...

I love this: claim their human right to use language to assert their humanity

Great book suggestions! Thanks so much. Hope you had a happy Halloween.

Frumteacher said...

Happy Haloween!
I can't wait to hear more about your history project! The way you prepare them for the research is impressive.

Sydney Speel said...

sounds cool!

i'll look it up!

Sue said...

That sounds like a beautiful plan. I love the way you teach. :D

Sarah said...

Curriculum integration at its best! :)

WendyB said...

It's so cute that someone baked a cake.