Friday, November 14, 2008

I say I wanna a revolution


This book is revolutionizing me!  An art teacher at my school (with whom I've been working on the graphic novel unit) suggested and let me borrow it.  I speed-read through the book earlier this week, and now I'm slowly re-reading and annotating my own copy.  Here's my one sentence summary:

We are leaving the Information Age and entering the Conceptual Age, when knowledge workers must make way for the creators and empathizers.

That may sound cryptic, but please read the book!

I most certainly see myself as a teacher who both creates and empathizes.  I won't just follow a script, and I won't just skill and drill.  I want students to understand the meaning and beauty of language in their lives, and I teach based on our individual and collective past and current and new experiences.

We have finished reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and will read the wordless graphic novel The Arrival next week.

6 comments:

only a movie said...

Great recommendation. Thanks!

Sue said...

That's cool, because I think of myself as more a concept person, not so much a follow thru person...

Sarah said...

Sounds like an interesting read!

Sydney Speel said...

eek. i can't annotate even if my life depended on it!

roller coaster teacher said...

Sydney - it's just a fancy word that means writing your thoughts/questions/connections/etc. in response to what you're reading! And you can definitely do that, because I know you think a lot and have a lot to say ;)

Frumteacher said...

It's on my reading list! Sound like a great book.