Saturday, February 7, 2009

delinquent

That's me, delinquent, not my students.  Delinquent blogger above, attending University at Buffalo men's basketball game today.  This team has a smokin' HOT 16-5 record right now!

Most noteworthy recent teaching events...

#1 - Guided Study Class - going very well!  These 4 sections of 8th graders are from 2 teams, so I find out what work they have, keep them on track during class, and review for tests/quizzes. Students are very cooperative, so we'll see if there are visible improvements soon. What I didn't expect was being questioned by coworkers who are also my friends about the validity of the program and whether this is the best use of my supposed skills and expertise.  So I explain as best I can the goals and expectations of the course and try not to be defensive.

#2 - Scoring student writing on the state assessments - last Thursday and Friday and 2 more days next week!

#3 - I still teach 6 sections of ELA Lab to 6th and 7th graders, and we started a nature poetry unit!  SO FUN!  Each lesson, I focus on one poetry element (such as imagery, white space, etc.).  We read a poem, watch about 10 minutes from the Planet Earth series (our school library owns the DVD collection, but anyone can watch episodes on the web site free!), and then students write about what they saw using the poetry element of that lesson.  We'll use this format to study poetry elements for about 2 weeks, then students will write nature poems using elements that we studied.  I'm working on this culminating activity - each student creates a web page with his/her own poem and graphics, and the web pages will be posted on my teacher (school) web site!

6 comments:

Ms. H said...

I can't wait til these "validity questioners" see how the kids' grades have improved as a result of your teaching them HOW to learn...rather than relentlessly obsessing over the WHAT to learn.

only a movie said...

We did Planet Earth last year w/ the high school students. I never knew we could watch online! Thanks! And great poetry tie-in. I may try that w/ some of my elementary kids.

Leah Gillette-Fox said...

Mimi you are so creative! I love Planet earth and what a great way for students not only to learn about the planet they live on BUT to incorporate poetery... BRILLIANT! Where were you when I was in middle school?

Sam and I got the planet earth series for Christmas and I love watching it. Espeically every time they tell me that the footage I'm about to see, NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN BEFORE! LOL

Sarah said...

Wow, I'm loving your poetry unit! So creative!! I bet the kids are loving it too :)

Saii said...

and the award for the most creative teacher goes to ....


YOU!!!!



:)

roller coaster teacher said...

Thanks for the encouragement, people! My best inspiration is ... other teachers!!! Hence the next post about my favorite poetry lesson/unit resource.