Sunday, February 15, 2009

a few miles, a few seconds

... that's the difference between our house and the house obliterated by Continental Flight 3407 on Thursday, February 12 at about 10:20pm.  We also live on "the flight path", which just means we're very used to the sounds and sights of planes flying low overhead on their way to the Buffalo airport.

I was the only one awake in our house at that time, watching "Grey's Anatomy" and texting commentaries with a friend.  We were both irritated that our show was interrupted by a local "breaking news" announcement, until I realized the news anchor said the name of my town.  Then I looked on-line everywhere to find out exactly WHERE, to no avail, till 11:00.  I woke up my husband, called my mom, and updated my status on Facebook, while we watched the news.  We couldn't see any smoke near us and only heard a few sirens.  I may have fallen asleep at about 1am, and woke up 1:15am when a text message came through from a worried friend, then woke up periodically through the night.

My main concern initially was how to explain this to my almost-8 year old daughter.  School was cancelled Friday, but I had to work (in another district), so she spent the day at her best friend's house, and they did watch a bit of news coverage and talked about it with her friend's mom.  She has been very matter-of-fact and not emotional about the whole event, and that does reflect her temperament to some degree.  I guess my worries were unnecessary, but we'll see.

Remember my previous post about reading The Shack?  I read that book on Wednesday the 11th.  The next day, the day of the plane crash, my school district (where I work) cancelled school due to bad weather, so I had all day to think about the book, run errands, and visit my father-in-law's grave (it was the one year anniversary of his death).  In the afternoon, I stole some "chill out" moments at the Clarence Center coffee shop and wrote in my journal.  One of my resolutions of the day was to "cover the basics" with my daughter - have a simple yet overdue conversation about God.  And we did, that evening on our drive to her piano lesson.  That night, the plane crashed 2 miles from our house and 2 blocks from that coffee shop.

As for me, I don't know what to say, except "up and down".  Sometimes I feel very thankful, sometimes I'm very depressed.  I'm very relieved to have this coming week off, our "mid-winter break".

8 comments:

only a movie said...

I was thinking of you when I heard the news.

I hope you have a relaxing and refreshing week off.

KStar said...

All I can say is "Wow"! I'm glad to hear that your family is safe and sound. It is crazy how things happen and who they happen to.

Sue said...

I heard about the plane crash but I didn't realize I knew anyone so close! I'm glad you are all OK. Kids are very flexible.
Peace :)

lost or found said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

That's the kind of thing that can really shake you to your core! And what a coincidence about the timing of that talk with your daughter!!

roller coaster teacher said...

Thanks, everyone!

Saii said...

... why didn't I read this?????

:S


thank God u r ok

:)

WendyB said...

Scary. Glad you were okay.