Wednesday, August 26, 2009

playing tourist


My friend A who lives in NYC visited us the past 3 days - we toured locally famous sights and eats! Niagara Falls (both Canadian and US sides, Maid of the Mist boat tour pic above), Botanical Gardens (that's me staring up Palm Dome of greenhouse gardens), The Original Pancake House (baked apple pancakes), The Melting Pot (fondue), some shopping ... I felt like I was on vacation!

Back to reality - I hope to check in at school day after tomorrow to set up the room. My goal is clean and simple this year. I'm only going to use the small classroom that is my "home" to teach about 20 students who need extra help with reading/writing; I'll be using other classrooms for other classes.

Did I mention that I re-read Deathly Hallows after watching Half-Blood Prince movie last Friday? Then I re-read Chamber of Secrets, even though I wanted to start with Sorcerer's Stone, but my husband is actually reading SS for the very first time. I started to re-read Prisoner of Azkaban, but my friend's visit put that on hold. Guess what I'm gonna do now? Happy summer reading and any other last minute summer indulgences to you all!

2 comments:

Huckleberry Friend said...

What did you think of Half Blood Prince on film? I was not pleased with it. :( I am re-reading the series again and hoping the next two films are truer to the final chapter for Harry (though I hope JK Rowling does a series on the Weasley/Potter kids one day!)

roller coaster teacher said...

I really liked the movie - but I think I was looking for visual thrills! I did not re-read HBP right before seeing the movie on purpose so that I wouldn't even notice plot changes. Seeing the movie made me want to re-read the book, and of course re-reading the book was immensely satisfying.

I think I mentioned already that I also re-read Deathly Hallows a few weeks ago, but I probably will forget many details, and hopefully I won't re-re-read DH till AFTER I watch the movie!