Sunday, September 6, 2009

visualization

I'm standing in front of my classroom door on the second floor, facing the staircase that hundreds of young teenage kids climb up. I take a deep breath, smile, and the bus drivers open their doors at 8:00. I hear the clamor, the exclamations, the footsteps, and the sneaker squeaks on the polished floor before I can see them, and then I do see them.

Shining faces, smiles, bright eyes, braces, glasses, tans, t-shirts, jeans, sneakers, dresses, backpacks, totes, buzz cuts, shaggy curls, pressed straight, brown, blonde, black, purple, orange, red, yellow, pink, white, grey.

That's my moment. The first moment of the school year happens this Wednesday.

4 comments:

only a movie said...

Have a fabulous year!

Gaffney said...

Ahhh. May the year hold blessings that fulfill such potential; may the disappointments be of short duration; and may joy greet you every morning and ride home with you every night.

Huckleberry Friend said...

Hope your week is going well...TGIF! Though a former teacher, nothing in life is as sweet for me as that last bell ringing on a Friday!

Frumteacher said...

Dear RCT, how was your first week? The bliss of the first day is a unique moment, I hope it was wonderful for you! I can't wait to read and share again this year.

Yours,
Frum