Saturday, October 10, 2009

young writers


Regardless of the craziness at work, the switching of teaching assignments, the really random bizarre bits of life and personality, I'm excited to write with my students for the Young Writers Program of NaNoWriMo! I'm going to wrap up poetry unit in the next 2 weeks and give some brainstorming/prewriting (for NaNoWriMo) homework (from the very extensive and excellent workbook from the web site). Before November starts, we'll be familiar with basic character and plot development, conflict, and setting, all story elements that are part of the 7th grade ELA curriculum.

One happy surprise is that even though I didn't plan to include my 8th grade remedial students (small group, only 9 students total, 2 sections) in the writing project, some of them really wanted to do it when they learned about it (and a few were horrified at the idea). So I am including everyone! As a challenge to all of us, I plan to set my word count at twice the highest student word count. (Their minimum is 3000.)

So if this is truly my rollercoaster year of crazy, then I might as well have fun!

No comments: