Monday, November 16, 2009

back on track

As of this morning, I was about 1000 words behind on my novel. Now I'm caught up! I used some class time to write, and my students were very cooperative by working on their own novels. I also showed them clips of Stephenie Meyer's Oprah interviews about her writing process and, of course, the Twilight series. Yes, I admit I was feeding the anticipation of the movie release of "New Moon" but also sharing writing inspiration from another writer. (OK, she's a very famous writer, and we're not famous, but we're still writers.)

I haven't mentioned lately my "academic push-in" to an 8th grade inclusion ELA class. My role is essentially in "instructional support" capacity, and the class already has two other teachers - the ELA teacher and the inclusion teacher. We've become quite the co-teaching team! I've been able to provide some direct instruction and materials for a classroom novel unit (The Giver) and the corresponding writing prompt (personal narrative). I firmly believe the key to our collaboration is absolute trust among the 3 of us - of course trust that we have the students' best interests in mind, but ALSO trust that we have each other's best interests in mind.

I'm still reading Brisingr, no lie. More than halfway through, but not by much.

No comments: