Saturday, May 1, 2010

Happy May!

Spring is always so promising! Last month was lovely - National Poetry Month, our vacation in New York City, and even the state test was fine and at least done! (We score next week, 3 days out of classroom for me.)

Here are some more notable sights in the Big Apple: Top pic is statue in the Children's Sculpture Garden, next to the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in the Morningside Heights neighborhood of Manhattan. We lived in this neighborhood for several years, and later I attended Barnard College, also nearby. My favorite personal connection is that Madeleine L'Engle (one of my favorite writers) featured this Episcopal parish setting in several of her young adult novels. I believe she was a parish member.

Bottom pic is Ann Curry of the Today Show. Yes, we stalked the Today Show each of the 4 days we were in the city! We stayed with a friend who lives in mid-town, so each morning we'd leave her apartment around 7:30 or 8 and walk to Rockefeller Plaza among many people who were going to work, so I really felt like going to the Today Show was our job! The crowd at the Plaza was manageable, we "met" Ann twice, and we were on camera a few times. FUN! (She is THE NICEST person ever! She would walk around slowly and greet many many people, striking up conversations, and just super friendly!!!) (Yep, that's my husband in his Ryan Miller/Sabres jersey, but I don't want to talk about it.)

1 comment:

Literacy Teacher said...

I just LOVE the Sabres Jersey in that picture at the TODAY show. The DH and I went to NYC last summer, He wore his Buffalo Bills shirt to the Today show. Looks like you had a wonderful time on vacation!

Happy ELA grading. I will be doing the same, but only one day for grade 5!