Sunday, June 27, 2010

history & mythology

My recent reads:

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory - Several friends recommended this novel and writer years ago, and at one time I read a bit of The Constant Princess but did not like it (or finish it). Yet I continue to hear rave reviews of this Mary Boleyn historical novel, and it was an exciting ride! I started it at the very end of the school day a week ago Friday, only had time to read 15 minutes, then picked it up again after dinner that evening. I read six hours straight, till about 3:30 am when I finally admitted I needed sleep before I could finish it! I slept maybe 4 hours, then read from 8am to 11am Saturday to finish all 660 or so pages. Reading that book was a fever! I have a library copy of The Boleyn Inheritance, just to see if the fever would come back.

The Red Pyramid, Book One of the Kane Chronicles, the most recent series by Rick Riordan (who wrote The Lightning Thief and the rest of the Percy Jackson series) - Excellent story that blends Egyptian history and mythology into modern day setting with strong brother/sister teen protagonists! I "read" about two-thirds of the books via library audiobook CDs, then the library hardcover copy finally made its way to me, so I devoured the rest. It's a LONG story, some parts seemed to drag (but is that because I was listening to audiobook?), other parts were fast action just like Percy Jackson books.

We're planning a Washington, DC and Virginia (DC area, Charlottesville, Williamsburg, Jamestown) trip the first week of July! So the iPad will be my reading companion - any eBook suggestions?

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

I just finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and loved it! I also really liked East of the Sun by Julia Gregson. Both would be great summer reads:)