Saturday, July 10, 2010

Eclipse movie verdict - decent!

I watched the movie this afternoon with friend Sandra (who also accompanied me to watch "New Moon" last year - here's my review of that fiasco), and we both liked "Eclipse" OK. We agreed that neither of us had read the book recently, so our non-recollection of book details left out of the movie enhanced our viewing enjoyment. Usually, knowledge of omitted details is very distracting and usually distressing for me.

Last year, I think around this time, I re-read all four Twilight books (2nd time for each). That resulted in my re-ranking them from best to worst: 1, 2, 4, 3. (The first reading resulted in this ranking: 1, 2, 3, 4.) Knowing the end helped me enjoy New Moon for itself, I thought Eclipse was just super pointless and dull, lots of talking in circles (I love you, you love me, no I don't, I love him, I love you more, blah blah blah!), so perhaps my lower expectations of Eclipse helped me enjoy the movie more than the "New Moon" movie. Maybe. Plus I'm prejudiced against "New Moon" director for taking Catherine Hardwick's job. I understand "Twilight" wasn't the best movie ever made, but Hardwick transformed the romantic dreamy parts of the story well on screen for ME, so I loved it plus loved the soundtrack to pieces. I bought the movie on iTunes and watched it many times. I HATED the "New Moon" soundtrack.

I have low low very low expectations for the Breaking Dawn movies. Baby Renesme was a major ICK factor in the book for me, and I don't know how it could be done tastefully on screen. I've seen the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows movie trailer, and I'm already upset that there are so many months between THOSE 2 movies (from November 2010 to July 2011) - UGH!!! Honestly, just make a 5-hour movie, I'll sit and watch it, take a bathroom break if I need it, get a quick recap from someone sitting near me, and keep watching! OK fine I'll pay double! I don't want to pay double, but I'd rather pay double than wait 8 months!!!

I'm moderately satisfied with "Eclipse" movie, enough to now buy "New Moon" movie.

No comments: