Thursday, February 24, 2011

applesauce nut bread

My daughter's friend A is here to play. A's dad is very knowledgeable about cooking and natural foods. Last time G (my kid) was at their house to play, she ate homemade granola. He also told us about this interesting online honey retail source beefolks.com. I didn't want to serve A just any old processed lunch or snack, so I'm baking this applesauce nut bread with homemade applesauce (apples from our local natural foods store Farmers and Artisans). But guess what the girls chose for lunch? Campbell's soup. Wait - I added pieces of my roasted chicken in the chicken noodle soup HA! (Ok, they did love the bread.)

APPLESAUCE NUT BREAD
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 egg, beaten
1 cup medium thick applesauce
2 tsb melted shortening or oil (I USE 1/2 CUP MORE APPLESAUCE INSTEAD OF OIL)

Sift dry ingreds. Add egg, applesauce, oil (or more applesauce). Mix thoroughly. Fold in walnuts. Pour into greased pan. Bake 350 degrees, 45 minutes.

***I like using homemade applesauce best. I just slow cook apples, with brown sugar, cinnamon, and a little water.

No comments: