Thursday, June 23, 2011

Wrap it up!

Today was our last day with students. Four more work days left - 2 "records days" (I already finished) and 2 staff development days (no joke, professional development at the end of June, genius). I'll use the next 2 days to pack up my room as required by the maintenance/custodial staff even though I'm not moving to another room.

I've started to categorize my classroom books by genre, mainly to help me keep track of what I have and hopefully help students find interesting books. This is "playing" librarian and really fun! I'm not a compulsive organizer - no alphabetizing by author/title or color coding. I'm just separating out the informational, biography/autobiography/memoir, historical fiction, supernatural/mystery, fantasy series, sci fi series, etc. I also organized my classroom supplies today, even labeled shelves with lists of contents!

BOOKS UPDATE:

13 Little Blue Envelopes and The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson - I enjoyed the second book immensely!

The Throne of Fire - book 2 of the Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan. I want to write a long, rambling post about the books AFTER the Percy Jackson series, but here's the short version: A) Long books are not better, something I never thought I would say, and B) Percy Jackson stories were so FUNNY, especially the monsters, but The Lost Hero and the Kane Chronicles are so SERIOUS, TOO serious. I'm "reading" The Throne of Fire exactly the same way as I read The Red Pyramid - I borrowed the public library audiobook CDs and listen during my commute to work, still waiting for the hardcover copy. The two actors who narrate Carter and Sadie Kane are FANTASTIC, especially when they speak the other character parts. A few students told me The Red Pyramid was hard to read, and I wonder if the audiobook would have helped them sink into the story better.

Forge by Laurie Halse Anderson, sequel to Chains - I've had the book since last summer, JUST read it a month ago! Curzon's narrative was a bit harder for me to read than Isabel's, but still super interesting. I think boys would enjoy the vivid description of battles and daily life at Valley Forge, and I certainly enjoyed Curzon's story and look forward to the NEXT one!

1 comment:

Literacy Teacher said...

I hope the staff development days are worth it! I finished Friday. next year is uncertain for me due to lay off : (