Tuesday, August 9, 2011

the antidote

Last night I learned from a teacher/blogger/friend that some of our high stakes/standardized ELA and math test scores had been released, so an online search yielded the stats - proficiency rates of every school in New York State. Many hours of dejected thoughts and counter thoughts followed.

Books are the antidote, as you probably know. Here's my Book-a-Day progress: After a short stall ( also called the weekend, when I couldn't find the time or brainpower to read American Gods), I recharged on children's picture books. (I'm on Goodreads and have reviewed all these books, so I need to find out how to connect those reviews to this blog directly. Stay tuned.)

Grandfather's Journey by Allen Say
The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney
Queen of the Falls by Chris van Allsburg
Good Griselle by Jane Yolen
We Are America: a tribute from the heart by Walter Dean Myers and Christopher Myers

I also started reading Athletic Shorts, a collection of short stories by Chris Crutcher. I've only read the first story "A Brief Moment in the Life of Angus Bethune" - utterly heartbreaking and humorous. How does Chris Crutcher DO that?! (I repeated that question over and over in my head when I read Whale Talk. I can't think of a suitable way to book talk Whale Talk to my 7th and 8th grade students, but MAYBE I can manage a few of these short stories.)

No comments: