Sunday, August 7, 2011

August?!

My first school dream of the new school year was this past Friday night. I was in a large chaotic classroom with a co-teacher, and neither of us knew what we were doing. Oh well!

Book-a-day update - I was gangbusters for a few days. After Girl who was on Fire, I read Elephant Run (fascinating historical fiction set in Burma during Japanese occupation/World War II), Rapunzel's Revenge (fun graphic novel), Teen Angst? Naaah... (very funny memoir by Ned Vizzini), and Demigods and Monsters (essays about Percy Jackson series, a few really interesting ones, several ho-hums).

Then I hit a wall. I wanted a solid novel, a great story, something challenging and important, so I started American Gods that I had borrowed from a friend a month ago. I felt like the last person on Earth who had not read any Neil Gaiman books, even though I enjoy reading his tweets and know his fans are LEGION. (I just can't bear to read The Graveyard Book. I tried but couldn't read more than a few pages. I think the premise is too gruesome and unbearable for me personally.) It's hard to describe what I think and feel about American Gods so far - it's NOT a fast read, can we all agree? But it's interesting, and I want to continue, so Book-a-day is more or less in limbo. I can read picture books to fill in, but why bother with formality? I am reading a book every day, the same book, until I finish.

1 comment:

Ms. George said...

Hey, I am not blogging currently, but I am on twitter. I just followed you today using my real name...