Monday, March 26, 2012

the creative process

I discovered NPR's three-minute fiction writing challenge last week. The task for Round 8 of the challenge was to start a short story with this sentence - "She closed the book, placed it on the table, and finally, decided to walk through the door." I wrote for about an hour that evening, tapped into one of my main worries about my parents, and stopped writing after 400 words. Even though I still haven't finished it and may never finish it (and considering my parents would immediately recognize our family in that story, I can't imagine publishing it), I really enjoyed using the story starter sentence. After writing those 400 words, I thought of another story to write, completely different subject, with the same starter sentence. I'd like to continue these little writing assignments for me, for fun!

Here are a few things I did finish last weekend - a newborn beanie for my friend Liz's baby Michael (just 11 days old!) and a little girl beanie (for coworker friend's daughter).



Guess what I just received as a freebie yesterday? A sewing machine! I'm the beneficiary of a friend's spring cleaning. I haven't used it yet and have never used a sewing machine before, but I have watched a few tutorials on YouTube. Stay tuned...

No comments: